top of page

UK English Test: IELTS or SELT or CEFR?

The United Kingdom has long been a popular destination for individuals seeking to work, study, or settle in a diverse and culturally rich environment. To maintain the integrity of its immigration system and ensure that newcomers can effectively communicate and integrate into British society, the UK government places a significant emphasis on English language proficiency when granting work visas. There are two primary methods by which individuals can demonstrate their English language proficiency to qualify for a UK work visa: by possessing a degree-level qualification taught in English or by successfully completing a Secure English Language Test (SELT).

What is IELTS and SELT and CEFR?

IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is essentially the same as SELT (Secure English Language Test), with the distinction that SELT tests are administered exclusively at test centres authorised by the United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI). The "Secure" element in SELT underscores the controlled and regulated environment in which these tests are conducted.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is a globally recognised standard for gauging language proficiency. It classifies language ability using a six-tier scale, ranging from A1 for beginners to C2 for individuals who have achieved mastery in a language. This framework simplifies the assessment of various qualifications for anyone engaged in language instruction and evaluation, including educators and learners. Moreover, it facilitates straightforward comparisons of our qualifications with other language exams within their respective nations, which proves invaluable to employers and educational institutions.

You only need to take the test if your degree was not taught in English or you do not come from a recognised English speaking country.

For Skilled Worker Visa or Health and Care Work Visa you need to achieve a score of 4.0 at level B1 for listening, reading, writing, and speaking.

Please note that the English Language requirements are subject to change, so please check on the UKVI website before booking your test.

The Significance of English Language Proficiency

Proficiency in the English language is crucial for individuals seeking to work in the UK. It not only facilitates effective communication in the workplace but also enables social integration, access to education, and participation in the broader community. Therefore, the UK government has established clear guidelines to assess an applicant's ability to understand and communicate in English.

Qualification Taught in English

One of the most straightforward ways to meet the English language proficiency requirement for a UK work visa is by holding a degree-level qualification taught in English. This includes degrees obtained from universities in English-speaking countries and those from non-English-speaking countries where the language of instruction was English. Applicants must provide evidence of their qualification, such as a degree certificate or academic transcript, which clearly indicates that the course was conducted in English.

It's important to note that the UK Home Office maintains a list of approved universities and colleges worldwide. If your institution is on this list, you can be confident that your qualification will be recognised for visa purposes. However, if your institution is not listed, you may need to provide additional evidence of English language proficiency.

Secure English Language Test (SELT)

For individuals who do not possess a degree-level qualification taught in English and are applying from outside of the UK, the second option is to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT). A SELT is a standardized examination designed to assess an individual's English language skills, including speaking, listening, reading, and writing. These tests are recognized and accepted by the UK Home Office as proof of English language proficiency.

If you are outside of the UK, you can only take a SELT with one of the following approved providers:

  • IELTS SELT Consortium

  • LanguageCert

  • Pearson

  • PSI Services (UK) Ltd – Skills for English (UKVI)

These providers offer various SELT exams, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for UKVI, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, and LanguageCert International ESOL qualifications, among others. It's crucial to choose the specific SELT exam that aligns with your visa category and meets the Home Office's English language proficiency requirements.

Which IELTS test do I need?

For Skilled Worker Visa or Health and Care Work Visa you need to achieve a score of 4.0 at level B1.

Final thoughts ...

Demonstrating English language proficiency is a fundamental requirement for obtaining a UK work visa, especially if you are applying from outside of the UK. Whether you hold a degree-level qualification taught in English or need to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT), it's crucial to understand the specific requirements for your visa category and provide the necessary evidence to support your application.

The UK's commitment to ensuring that immigrants have a strong command of English is aimed at promoting effective communication, social integration, and success in the workplace. By meeting these language proficiency requirements through approved SELT providers, individuals can look forward to a smoother transition into their new life and career in the United Kingdom.


Subscribe for job alerts

Join our email list and be the first to get job alerts!

bottom of page