top of page

Top 3 things to speed up your UK visa application

If you're planning to move to the UK, one of the most important steps is obtaining a visa. Unfortunately, the visa application process can be quite complex, and it's not uncommon for it to take longer than expected. However, there are a few things you can do to help speed up the process. In this article, we'll discuss the top three things that can slow your application down, as they tend to take the longest.

Speed up your UK Visa Application

1. Get Your University Transcripts

For most UK visa applicants, one of the most important documents you'll need to provide is your university transcripts. These documents will need to be sent directly to the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) from your university. It's important to make sure that your transcripts are accurate and up-to-date before sending them to the UKVI, as any errors or discrepancies could cause delays in processing your application.

2. Get Police Clearance (some jobs need this)

Some jobs, such as Healthcare or Education jobs require you to obtain police clearance, so this is another important document you'll need to provide as part of your visa application is a police clearance certificate. This document will show that you have no criminal record and are of good character. You'll need to obtain a police clearance certificate from every country you've lived in for more than 12 months in the last 10 years.

The process for obtaining a police clearance certificate can vary depending on the country, so it's important to do your research and find out what the requirements are in your specific case. In some cases, you may be able to obtain a police clearance certificate online, while in other cases you may need to go to a police station or embassy in person.

3. Register with Professional Bodies

If you're planning to work in the UK in a regulated profession, such as medicine, nursing, or social work, you'll need to register with the appropriate professional body before you can start working. This is another important step you can take to help speed up your visa application.

For example, if you're a doctor, you'll need to register with the General Medical Council (GMC). If you're a nurse, you'll need to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). If you're a social worker, you'll need to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Full list of professions that are regulated by the HCPC:

  • Arts Therapists (Art therapists, Drama therapists, Music therapists)

  • Biomedical Scientists

  • Chiropodists/Podiatrists

  • Clinical Scientists

  • Dietitians

  • Hearing Aid Dispensers

  • Occupational Therapists

  • Operating Department Practitioners

  • Orthoptists

  • Paramedics

  • Physiotherapists

  • Practitioner Psychologists

  • Prosthetists/Orthotists

  • Radiographers

  • Social Workers in England

  • Speech and Language Therapists

It's important to note that if you work in one of these professions, you'll need to be registered with the HCPC in order to practice in the UK. The registration process can take several weeks or even months, so it's important to start the process as early as possible if you're planning to work in one of these professions in the UK.

Other regulated professions in the UK include:

  • Dentistry (General Dental Council)

  • Pharmacy (General Pharmaceutical Council)

  • Veterinary Medicine (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons)

It's important to note that the registration process for these professional bodies can take some time, so it's a good idea to start the process as early as possible.

In conclusion, obtaining a UK visa can be a lengthy process, but there are steps you can take to help speed up the process. By getting your university transcripts, obtaining a police clearance certificate, and registering with professional bodies, you can help ensure that your application is processed as quickly as possible.


Subscribe for job alerts

Join our email list and be the first to get job alerts!

bottom of page